I was asked to review new bagel varieties from The New York Bakery, I was really keen as I loved the Pumpkin Seeded Bagels I tried for Halloween a while ago
This time I tried the new launches Fruit and Oat, and a savoury Red Onion and Chive. Plus Limited Edition Blueberry Bagels.
My only problem was picking which one for Granny and I to try first.
We opted for savoury and into the toaster they went.
I have to say the bagels are divine, the sweetness of the red onion was really good, the nice thing about them were the actual pieces of onion, soft and caramelized. The chives complemented the bagel too. We ate them with slices of Red Leicester. Chris had his just with butter and was another fan.
They are really filling for a lunch too.
The next morning I had to try the blueberry bagel and they were as I had hoped, sweet,with succulent blueberries. These I just ate with butter, they needed nothing else, however I did add some cream cheese to one for supper. I am sad these are a limited edition as they really are one of my fave New York Bakery bagels so far.
The fruit and oat variety was another lovely bagel, the oats make this a great breakfast addition and the sweet fruit really complements the bagel.
What appeals to me is firstly how filling one bagel is, how tasty and how fresh. Secondly they have an excellent sell by date, so great for buying in a weekly shop. Lastly its just nice to have something a bit different and tasty for breakfast.
New York Bakery Co’s Fruit & Oat and Red Onion & Chive bagels cost from £1.55 for a pack of four and are available at Tesco and Morrisons stores nationwide from January 2013. Visit the New York Bakery Co Facebook page at www.facebook.com/newyorkbakery for more information or recipe tips.
Here are some mouth-watering recipe suggestions using the whole NYBC bagel range for you to try out at home with friends, family or on your own.
- Toast a Wholemeal or Plain bagel and top with creamy scrambled egg, cracked black pepper and crispy NY style bacon
- A true classic: top your Sesame bagel with smoked salmon, smooth cream cheese and sprinklings of dill and watercress
- Fill your Red Onion & Chive bagel full of meaty pastrami, crunchy gherkins, and fiery Dijon mustard
- Healthy Wholemeal bagel bursting with mouth-watering avocado, crispy bacon, lettuce & juicy tomato
- Create a yummy pizza bagel by melting mozzarella on a Sesame or Plain bagel and topping with juicy cherry tomatoes and freshly cracked black pepper
- Spread lashings of butter on a toasted sweet Cinnamon & Raisin bagel
Tea Time Feast
- Devour a Plain bagel with spicy chorizo, sundried tomato and peppery rocket