Well Chris has finally won. After years of threatening to grow facial hair and my threat of performing a Sweeney Todd style if he did, he's only gone and pledged to grow it for charity. So here I am filled with pride instead of annoyance and worse I will have to undergo torturous ticklish kisses from a man with a tache!
Yes its Movember formerly known as November!
Chris will be growing a moustache this month to raise funds and awareness for prostate and testicular cancer. Funds raised in the UK are directed to programmes run by Movember and our men’s health partners Prostate Cancer UK and The Institute of Cancer Research. There are some startling facts about prostrate cancer below.
Key Health Messages
• 1 in 9 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer in the UK
– one man is diagnosed every 15 minutes
• A man will die from prostate cancer every hour - more than
10,000 men will die of the disease this year in the UK
• African Caribbean men are three times more likely to
develop prostate cancer
• You are 2.5 times more likely to develop prostate cancer if
your father or brother has had it
• Occurrences of prostate cancer in men are comparable to
the rates of breast cancer in women
• 2,209 men in the UK were diagnosed with testicular cancer
• 47% of testicular cancer cases occur in men under 35 years
and over 90% occur in men under 55 years
2012's message this year is a good one!
Knowledge is Power, Moustache is King
Movember was established in 2003 by a few friends over a beer in a pub just outside Melbourne, Australia. The goal was simple – to create a campaign promoting the growth of the moustache among likeminded people and having fun along the way. It is about real men, talking about real issues and changing the face of men’s health, one moustache at a time. Movember now spans the globe, with campaigns in 21 countries in 2012.
Rules are simple, Chris must be clean shaven at the start of the month, then grow and groom a moustache, no sideburns or other facial hair allowed and track his progress at http://uk.movember.com/ on his own personal page and well hopefully raise some cash as he grows it.
I will be back with updates and gripes about stubble and a strange faced man!!